A Yogic Diet

16.4.11


Ahimsa/Non Harming
Ahimsa would suggest that the foods that you ingest should cause no harm to you are anyone else. Questions that surface when contemplating Ahimsa and diet:
  • Is the food I am eating causing damage to my body?
  • Was anyone or anything harmed unnecessarily in the creation or processing of this food?
Aparigraha/Non Hoarding 
Aparigraha deals with taking only what is necessary and letting go of attachments. Questions that surface when contemplating Aparigraha and diet:
  • Is there more food on my plate that what my body needs to be healthy?
  • Am I wasteful with food?
  • Are my eating habits taking food away from others?
  • Am I attached to certain foods in a way that is harmful to me, the environment or to others?
Sauca/Purity
Sauca deals with purity and cleanliness.  Questions that surface when contemplating Sauca and diet:
  • Is my food clean and free of all impurities?
  • Does this food contain toxins?
  • Is this food toxic to me, other living beings or the environment?
  • Does this food disrupt the purity of my mind and emotions?(Maybe think about alcohol,sugar, caffeine and its effects on mood and behavior) 
 Santosha/Contentment
Santosha deals with being satisfied and content.  Questions to contemplate:
  • Do I feel satiated when I am done eating or am I too full or underfed? 
  • Does this food turn off my hunger signals or make me crave more? (sugar, high fructose corn syrup)
  • Are my cravings disruptive to my feeling of satisfaction?
  • Am I making a decision to be  happy about the food that I have to eat?
Tapas/Disciplined Use of Energy
Tapas deals with the heated energy it takes to stay disciplined. Questions for diet and Tapas:
  • Am I eating more calories then I can burn off?
  • Am I disciplined about my food intake?
  • Am I disciplined about my yoga practices and exercise that helps my body stay balanced?
  • Are my thoughts on food steady and balanced?
Svadhyaya/Self Study
Svadhyaya deals with self inquiry and studying things that will promote self improvement. Questions for diet and Svadhyaya:
  • How do I feel when I eat this food?
  • How do I feel when I eat at this time?
  • Have I done research on the proper diet for my body?
  • Do I understand the long term effects of this diet?

0 Insightful Comments:

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger