LADIES: The Moon Cup

21.7.13

Okay. So this post probably won't interest male readers but I had to post in regards to my experience with the mooncup without going into too much obvious detail. Ladies only. Years back I heard about the mooncup and it piqued my interest. If you think about it, the cumulative waste produced from our monthly periods can add up. Think about it. In a lifetime how much?! Knowing that I can always do better when it comes to conscious choices in terms of my own personal carbon footprint I thought it was worth giving it a try. The resistance for me at first was connivence and ease. Can I still be active, go about my daily activities and such without hassel and worry?

So I finally took the plunge and bought one. There are a number of different brands out there. The big difference from using a menstrual cup versus tampons or pads is - well, they are resuseable and from the statement on the package can last for years and years. Also, instead of absorbing menstrual flow, it collects it and must be rinsed out between uses. Between periods you can sterilize the cup by putting it in boiling water for 6-8 minutes or using a sterilizing solution. No problem.

When it came to establishing my size I was a bit miffed because the suggestions on the box didn't really go over so well for me. Taking into consideration that I haven't had any children and practice Ashtanga yoga regularly seemed to have made a big difference even though I am over 30 years. Something worth checking into.

At any rate, I feel alternatives such as this will become ever more important. Doing what I can to make more conscious choices on every level available is an importnat step starting with lessening the amount of "trash" I produce. For me using the mooncup will be an adjustment and practice will be necessary when it comes to ease of use. However, from those who have been using it for a longer time swear by it and actually prefer it. I'm still a newbee but a willing one. 

0 Insightful Comments:

 

PEACE LOVE YOGA © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger